Friday, September 26, 2014

Journal Entry - September 26 2014

I have some very good news!

I'm excited (& relieved) to have so easily & quickly found a perfect group of students for my workshop series.

ACDT - Asheville Contemporary Dance Theatre - http://www.acdt.org/
is a long-established company based here in Asheville NC who I have a working history with since 1999.
I approached directors Susan & Giles Collard with my "Seeking Volunteers" proposal (see previous blog entry dated 9.4.14) with extremely positive results .... 
It just so happens that this Autumn Season the company does not have any new project they are developing - so they have invited me to come & present my workshop sessions as their company project during their regular rehearsal time every Sunday at 4.30 - 7pm over the next eight weeks.
I'm thrilled about this!
I went to present an introductory session last week & the company members are all enthusiastic about being "guinea pigs" for my experiment! They feel that they will benefit as artists from the process & are looking forward to learning more about Performance Art.

In conjunction with the workshop session follow-up blogs (which will consist of a series of regular journal entries plus documentation of the workshops) - I am also creating a series of solo video sketches to demonstrate my physical exercises. Each one will be accompanied by a written description of the exercise & a statement of intention about it's purpose.


Reading:
I have now ordered & received seven books that I will be reading through this semester.
Richard Schechner - Performance Studies: An Introduction (2013)
RoseLee Goldberg - Performance Art: From Futurism To The Present (2011)
RoseLee Goldberg - Performance: Live Art Since 1960 (1998)
RoseLee Goldberg with Defne Ayas - Performa (2007)
Michael Huxley / Noel Witts - The Twentieth-Century Performance Reader (2002)
Guillermo Gomez Pena / Roberto Sifuentes - Exercises For Rebel Artists: Radical Performance Pedagogy (2011)
Nathan Stucky / Cynthia Wimmer - Teaching Performance Studies (2002)


Advisor Meeting:
I had my first Studio Advisor meeting with Laura Gonzales this Wednesday morning via Skype. This was very stimulating & really helped me to get focused into beginning the semester. I will write a full blog report on this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment