Thursday, December 4, 2014

Critique Response 2 – November 21 2014


Critique Response 2 – November 21 2014

For my second peer group critique response, I asked my group to continue with giving me their overall impressions of my work over the semester – including the recent Physical Exercises, Workshop Sessions & also a workshop culminating in a public intervention performance as part of a downtown art-walk event.

One question that has arisen more than once (& posed again in this critique by Mark) is: Who is this pedagogy intended for?
The answer, in short, is: Anybody who has a body.
What is interesting to me is that, to most people with no formal background in dance or movement theater, it appears to be a method for dance professionals, teachers, choreographers etc – whereas – to dance professionals, it appears to be a “stripping away” of codified dance techniques & those who attended the workshops stated they find it very challenging to let go of their dance training in order to fully experience the natural & organic sense of the body in motion that these exercises approach. So, it seems to be perceived differently depending on the previous background of the perceiver!
Perhaps too, there is the visual influence of my demonstrations of the exercises in my Solo Sketches video series of the Physical Exercises – as I am obviously moving like someone who is dance trained – therefore it might be difficult for the untrained eye to distinguish the difference between the intention of the movement & the execution of the movement.
However, this has brought up the fact that I need to present a clear definition as to how & why & in what way this method of exploring the body & it’s capacities is for everyone & anyone – aswell as it’s value in the preparation of “Self” as a medium for Art.

Robyn & Lindey both recognized potential for incorporating much of what I am developing into a therapeutic or meditational context, as they both have experience of teaching & facilitating this kind of work – from children with ADD to senior citizens.  I also can envision the compatibility of using this work in a therapeutic context – however, if I were to specifically pursue this vein I would want to collaborate with a trained professional who has a deeper understanding of the clients needs & behavioral issues than I do.

Robyn also brought up something that some of my workshop participants have encouraged - & that is the idea of executing the physical exercises in a situation where there is some kind of counter-active or alternative environment which serves to heighten awareness of the body performing a particular function by providing some kind of resistance or alteration.
Examples of this are: Doing the exercises in water, wearing heavily padded clothing, using music that is the polar opposite in mood to the quality of motion, with earplugs, with glasses that distort vision.

O’Neill & KJ both commented on my development as a teacher … not only in the creation of a pedagogy but also in how I adapt due to considering the responses of the students. (This is exactly why I am developing this pedagogy through workshop situations – because pedagogy does not exist in a vacuum – it is in relationship to those receiving & utilizing it .. )
& Mark commented: “I appreciate how you have repositioned the body of the student as the authority. This is empowering and accurate.”

Gabriel focused his comments on the public intervention performance entitled “Attack of the Killer Stripey Tubes!” – noting the irony of the ominous alien invasion b-movie type title to the rather awkward, humorous, gumby-like characters the performance consists of!
(& actually, the full title of the piece is “Attack of the Killer Stripey Tubes! – who are actually quite friendly & not very scary at all”)
However there are some subtly disturbing undertones created whenever there is a distortion of the human form – so the humour is based on this dis-comfort.
I have used this movement installation in a variety of formats in the past – in a storefront window, on a trolley tour. Gabriel suggested doing it in a super-market & I had already thought about how I would love to do a guerilla public intervention of it at Wal-Mart!!!


Link to shared group google document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14uFhuZoa5nh3DWav1HSdr5WZgF0LTFKBY9ivx-5ikJg/edit?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment