Friday, November 6, 2015

BODY STUDIES 1 2 3 (first edits)



These three Body Studies show a process that continues directly on from my ritual "stripping down" performance at Somos gallery in Berlin.
... Once stripped of superfluous baggage (or at least, as much of it as that ritual helped me to strip) - what was I left with? What do I consist of?
The questioning felt like an interrogation.

The following three videos show the process of my response.

They are first edits containing the footage I have narrowed down to use from the original recording.



1) Body Parts

First of all, I asked myself …. “so now what are you?” ….. The answer seemed to be “I am nothing” – then looking at my assemblage of body-parts … “I am my hands” … “I am my feet” … “I am my legs” … “I am my back” … “I am my head” … “I am my breasts” …. etc etc

Here is the first edit of this interrogation:

Body Study #1 – Body Parts / date – September 30 2015 & October 9 2015 / location – Tozer Dance Studios, Hockerwood Farm, Nottinghamshire / camera – tripod set-up

https://youtu.be/hSpELyiKw04


2) Body Folding

After this interrogation, my initial response was to “fold in” on myself – a hiding or disappearing by becoming smaller in space, covering my body parts ….. however, the only thing available to cover body parts with were other body parts – thus exposing them …….. for every folding that closes & hides – something else is revealed, left open & vulnerable:

Body Study #2 – Body Folding / date – September 30 2015 / location – Tozer Dance Studios, Hockerwood Farm, Nottinghamshire / camera – tripod set-up

https://youtu.be/Crkb1hSYZdE


3) Body Dashing

From here comes the urge to escape …. but there is nowhere to go besides dashing around within the confinement of the self:

Body Study #3 – Body Dashing / date – October 9 2015 / location – Tozer Dance Studios, Hockerwood Farm, / Nottinghamshire / camera – tripod set-up

https://youtu.be/nWq_s6RIZYo


These three studies feel extremely vulnerable - they are part of a necessary process for this stage of my life & art.


No comments:

Post a Comment