Friday, February 12, 2016

Communication with Laura - February 2016

Recent communication with my Research Advisor - Laura Gonzalez:



Laura Gonzalez = LG
Claire Elizabeth Barratt = CEB

Feb 9

CEB
Laura .. just want to touch base with you about where i'm at at the moment & blurt out a few barely coherent thoughts that are rattling around!
i'm having a very very hard time getting my head around what this project report paper should look like!
as far as the practice goes - i feel like the journal entries are like islands  -each one is its own entity, yet they are all in the "sea of life" - & actually, really just what is visible above sea level.
... i have created a thin narrative thread in my personal voice to guide a viewer from one to the other (which you heard in my presentation & is also the text on the project blog pages)
- the narrative voice basically says: "this is where i am now. these are the materials i have here. this is how i am inspired to respond to / examine them / myself. here are the results."
.... this is my material culture / the material culture of each island.
- the narrative voice is kept sparse because i only want it to be a light guide - not heavy & dominating - the voices of each "island" / journal entry piece need to be the strong voices.
sooooo ....... now - for the project report - i need to somehow bring my own narrative voice into the forefront (or do i ?) ... we talked in our guidance committee meeting about seeing through many lenses (a kaleidoscope) .. i am inspired by this idea but still can't quite visualize exactly HOW to do it.
... there are certainly many things i can say about the work - various contexts i address ..........  the primary focus of Self-as-medium - the raw material with which to create - ideas of transformation & also bringing it back to the fact that i am exploring the possibilities of my own pedagogical structure etc.
i can at least begin by making a list of things i want to say!
- but then it feels like a jigsaw puzzle!
we are supposed to create an outline - but at the moment the puzzle pieces are scattered everywhere & i certainly won't be able to have them in any correct order by the 15th!
okay ... so those are my thoughts for now
i think i'm going to make a list of things i want to say about the work & see what that looks like!

LG
Thanks for this Claire. It feels like the work itself is overwhelming you so it might be an idea to consider that the paper won't be able to do everything and that is ok ...

Perhaps you can think about what is the most important thing about the work, just the one thing (perhaps its rawness?) and use that as a thread from which to unravel the writing? The writing is just material, think of it in that way. If it is rawness, which artists inspire you in to work in this way? Why? Why rawness? If you answer these questions systematically, you will arrive at a nice outline. 

Don't worry if it is not right at first. That's why I am here! The important thing is that you give it good thought and a go, and that you overcome the resistance to the paper, that you strip it and think of it as practice.

Does this make sense? Does this help?

If so, what is the most important thing about your studio work? ONE WORD!! Let me have it and I will give you a hand with the introduction, content and bibliography.

CEB
Hi Laura,
I'm attaching a document of my thought process investigating words today ..... I decided it would be a good process for me to get my brain into gear ..... I hope you don't mind bearing with me to read through it.
Thank you!

Attatched: word doc

WORDZ
Roget’s Thesaurus

What is THE WORD?

To investigate words I return to my old copy of the Roget’s Thesaurus I’ve had since my early teens – a Penguin 1982 edition. I’ve always loved the Thesaurus even when I was a young teenager I would just sit there reading the fine nuances in the between the words & be very entertained by it!
Even though I seem to have great difficulty trying to write anything, I really enjoy the Thesaurus as a resource for words as a Raw Material - & that is exactly the capacity in which I need it now.

I have just undergone a process of identifying key words in my project & seeing where those words lead.

Beginning with RAW.


RAW – new young uncovered culinary painful cold uninhabited immature unskilled sensitive

RAW MATERIALsource materials undevelopment

UNINHABITED – desuetude disuse rust decay deterioration defunct lapse untrained

SOURCE – cause authorship origination discovery evocation motivation force agent seed root formative seminal fundamental primary initiate

MATERIALS – building material resources means stuff

UNDEVELOPMENT – rawness untrained scratch virgin

RAW didn’t seem to hold much that I resonated with – so I went on to RAW MATERIAL – which activated some associations with what I’ve been working with.
OK … so, specifically I’m interested primarily with the Raw Material of the SELF – so let’s take a look at that …

SELFintrinsicality self

INTRINSICALITY – inherence immanence potentiality subjectivity ego personality essence stuff principle intrinsic ingredient basic intimate fundamental soul core nature quality temperament

SELF (speciality) – specific unique original character feature attribute particulars details exclusiveness subjective ego identity I myself

(I also attribute the words listed under intrinsicality to other raw materials besides the self)

This is all good – but what is it about the idea of Raw Material that interests me?
Perhaps because it holds so many potentials …

POTENTIAL – unreal-(non-existence) energy-(power)

POTENTIALITYability possibility latency

ABILITY – capability possibility capacity faculties properties

POSSIBILITY – potentiality capacity viability workability chance likelihood belief feasibility available thinkable conceivable credible

LATENCY – dormancy possibility undercover concealed undeveloped possible unknown underlying unmanifested obscure tacit awaiting discovery unexplored unspoken implicit allusive occult hint mysterious esoteric secret clandestine “more than meets the eye”

Oh yes – I like this ... lots of mystery, hidden potential – anything could happen … but it just needs something – it needs a PROCESS.

PROCESSway convert motion action
procession proceed procedure–(way ritual) proceedings-record proceeding-deed

WAY – route manner form method mode approach modus operandi tactics practice routine technique skill conduct passage doorway channel conduit bridge direction path road artery (also – Chinese “tao” or “dao”)

CONVERT – transformation evolve becoming transition develop deteriorate degenerate ferment alchemy influence teach reform camouflage disguise absorb

MOTION – going progression regression recession approach convergence divergence deviation ascent descent rotation oscillation agitation evolution locomotion cinema kinetics travel transference

ACTION – doing enactment performance execution practice procedure movement motion operation force exertion drama endeavour

PROCESSION – continuity sequence successiveness perpetuity cumulative flow series progression genealogy

PROCEEDURE – way route method mode modus operandi

RITUAL – way procedure routine order ceremony practice rubric mystery metaphor symbolism rites initiation

This is great!
But is PROCESS actually my word? Hmmmm … I’m not too sure about that – it doesn’t sound very exciting.
I’m interested in EXPLORATION leading to DISCOVERY.
I’m interested in EXPERIMENTS leading to RESULTS.
I think that this is the best way to facilitate LEARNING & CREATING ORIGINAL WORK.
So … what is the PROCESS for???
A process is for something to happen … something to take place … a change … a TRANSFORMATION!

TRANSFORMATION transformation conversion improvement

TRANSFORMATION – change alteration mutation modulation process innovation reformation deterioration diversion deviation transition metastasis metamorphosis passage catalyst transfiguration transmogrification transmutation conversion enzyme ferment alchemy cause-effect disguise distort deform

Conversion – see Convert under Process

(all words in regards to conversion transformation metamorphosis catalyst alchemy etc are mostly cross-references of each other in the thesaurus & also often reference process)

I like this a lot. This is a word that has been coming up throughout my whole process since I started with Transart & was challenged to identify a constant theme throughout my work.
I also like the idea of having the role of a CATAYST (it is one I have been identified with periodically throughout my life)

Other key words associated with this project …

JOURNAL a chronology, a record, a daily report – other concepts the term implies can be associated with a detailed breakdown of events or of what constitutes something – perhaps a taxonomy or a very subjective emotional account of events.
JOURNEY a process in order to travel – can be associated with transit of physical location & also with personal or spiritual process.
Both originate from the same root word & are based on the idea of a DAY. A report of the day. A day’s travel.
For this project, the journal is the format I employ to report the journey.

PEDAGOGY a learning method (taken from the Greek meaning “to lead the child”)
For this project, I utilize a pedagogy I developed as a method for exploration & discovery – it is also a testing ground for the pedagogy itself.

PERFORMANCE
ART
My mode of operation as a human being in the world.

I think perhaps the key word could be TRANSFORMATION.
It encompasses the whole journey. Process. Raw Materiality in process – into refinement – into decay (each with its own aesthetic)
& the transformation that discovery brings us from ignorance into knowledge.


(Note: italics = my own words, regular font = theasurus definitions)


Feb 10

LG
I love it Claire thank you! Good way of going about it!!! But I am still not clear what your word is ... Chose one! Let me know ...

Bear in mind that self and process and performance might not be good words as I suspect they might be the way with which you investigate something else or they are investigated by something else. So what I am saying is that those words are default so you don't need to find them ...

So which do you chose?

Laura 

CEB
right - exactly what i was thinking in regards to choosing self or process - so i think the word TRANSFORMATION gives a lot of scope & flexibility to encompass all aspects of the work ... & it is an underlying subject that's already been identified in my work in general & that i want to address

LG
I think that is perfect! In that case, what I would say, is that in the introduction, you need to define transformation and then see how it applies to the work. Transformation of what? Transformation from what to what? What is the process of transformation? How can the text transform too? So, for example, you could start your paper with a reflection on transformation and, by the end of it, transform it into work (because you write in your works).

I think it is a great anchor!

Does this give you enough for your first assignment? I must say I am excited!

CEB
it's kind of funny that "transformation" makes a great anchor!
i will make a start & see how i get on.


No comments:

Post a Comment