Friday, February 12, 2016

PROCESS REPORT - FEBRUARY 15 2015




I am currently at an artist residency / retreat at Chance House / John Cage Memorial Park in Chance MD - Deal Island on the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's very rural & remote ... the local gas station is also a bar - they serve  oysters fresh off the boat!














WINTER BREAK was productive.
I had the opportunity to present a live performance version of the RAW-(Material) project.
It was part of the annual winter show "Modern Dance / Primitive Light" produced by Circle Modern Dance in Knoxville TN. This is a company I was part of founding back in the early 90s & was a co-director of for almost a decade. The company is still going strong & are now celebrating their 25th Anniversary! I was invited back to perform with them for their anniversary celebrations.
Here are two links from local press - an article & a review:

The Daily Times
Circle Modern Dance Brings Back another founder for “Primitive Light”
By Steve Wildsmith 
http://www.thedailytimes.com/entertainment/circle-modern-dance-brings-back-another-founder-for-primitive-light/article_00986b2a-892c-51fb-aac8-212f72d2f93f.html


Tableau Knoxville
A New Christmas Tradition: 
A Review of Circle Modern Dance's Primitive Light 
By Leslie Ann Ellingburg 
http://read.tableauknoxville.com/new-christmas-tradition/ 

And also feedback from audience members & colleagues:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4cHBYnXHpXzOFg5TmtZU2lCMU0/view?usp=sharing 


 
Also during the winter break was the TRANSART INSTITUTE WINTER RESIDENCY, of course.
A highlight of the week for me was to participate in SPACEBODIES - curated by my MFA 2 peer Andrea Spaziani at The Gym at Judson. It was quite an extravaganza of temporal arts in time & space.
I took the opportunity to experiment with a new aspect of RAW-(Material) - that of LIGHT & SPACE.




More information - plus documentation of both of these performances can be found here:
http://raw-material-journal.blogspot.com/2015/12/winter-break-201516.html  


The residency was a great time of social, intellectual & creative interaction. I felt very inspired by seeing the current progress of my peers & participating in some intensive dialogue. I do feel that Transart is achieving the kind of rhizomatic structure it was based on ... by it's own nature that can cause a lot of flux & potential inbalance, but I feel that the current student body is holding it quite successfully.
I received good feedback from my presentation - which I am still currently processing.

I have had a lot of recent interaction with both of my advisors. I am keeping a record of these communications on my blog. Here are links for those:

Conversations with Linda Montano - Studio Advisor:

Communication with Laura Gonzalez - Research Advisor:

Also my Studio Advisor Report from Linda & my reply to her:


And to close this report, the link to my RAW MATERIAL PROJECT BLOG  
- which is constantly being up-dated:




No comments:

Post a Comment