Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Studio Advisor Meeting 4.9.15


Studio Advisor Meeting with Laura Gonzales
Thursday April 9 – 9.30am EST – via Skype

Laura went over my up-coming deadlines for the rest of the year to go over what needed to be posted on my TI blog on April 15th & May 15th.

She emphasized that I need to create a “work” for my final Studio Project summary. A finished piece which is my completed Studio Project. We discussed possibilities. The important factor being the journey of the viewer – for someone to look at the finished work and be able to see what has been accomplished. Not as work-in-progress or sketch, but as completed work.

We also discussed my “Synthesis” proposal for next year. I am contemplating a shift of focus to intensify my enquiry in regards to the Self-as-Medium & further exploration of Transformation, Metamorphosis & Transcendence. Although this exploration could remain in the pedagogical realm I have been pursuing this year, I feel I could now go deeper into this investigation if I focus intently on my own development rather than facilitating that of others.
(Recognizing that I would not have been able to come to this point – of departure? – without the previous pedagogical focus to initiate, outline & define the work.)

We also discussed my approach to pedagogy & communication – Laura noted that I present myself more as a “facilitator” than a “teacher” – I agree with this observation, as I think, for me,  “teacher” comes with connotations of dictatorship - & I don’t think anything new & inspired can arise from a heavily controlled learning experience.

We talked about communication methods for this project. How, although I don’t regard language as my most fluid form of communication, I have done a lot of writing for the studio work. This is because I have felt the need to “report” & “explain” everything that I’ve been doing in this workshop process.
We talked about ideas of communication with no language – through movement only. And I recalled how I have attended dance workshops where the teacher only communicated non-verbally, which was in fact very effective and gave a deeper level of intimacy to the experience.
Something to think about…

All things to think about.

Laura Gonzales is a very thought-provoking person – and I appreciate the manner of her challenges because they are thrown down in a way that indicates she is totally invested & completely on one’s side – with full comprehension of one’s goals as an artist, yet believes one has even more to offer and wants to see it forthcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment